If you have landed on this page, it means that you are facing an air conditioner malfunction problem. Today I will talk about the most common breakdowns of household split systems. But before we start looking at them, you should understand that there are complex systems and exceptional cases you need to know on the spot.
Some signs of breakdowns may have ambiguous solutions. Of course, one page will not be enough to cover the entire scope of problems. But still, I will try to state the MAIN malfunctions so that you learn to think in the right direction and look for ways to solve the problem.
It would be fitting to start the article by listing the signs of malfunctions. After all, when you first encounter such a problem, you see only its external manifestations. I would even clear that the primary indicator is primarily the “behavior” of the indoor unit for the user. Therefore, in the article, we will limit ourselves to studying problems, focusing on the behavior of the indoor unit.
After we deal with the external signs, we list the reasons for their appearance and ways to eliminate them. Since now, our main task has been to identify the malfunction and begin to search for its cause. And the elimination of each reason is a topic for a separate article.
The main signs of a faulty air conditioner:
Before sorting out the malfunctions, we will immediately set the conditions that the AIR CONDITIONER MUST BE CLEAN! To avoid confusing the concepts of “faulty air conditioner” and “air conditioner requiring maintenance.” The cause of all breakdowns can be contamination of the air conditioner.
Perhaps, all MAIN malfunctions can be divided into four groups, which indirectly indicate the causes. Let’s designate them like this:
1. The most common cause is the behavior of the indoor unit, when “the indoor unit works, but does not cool.” This symptom usually means that the shutters of the unit are opening, the fan is spinning, but there is no change in the temperature in the room. At the same time, you must be sure that the air conditioner is set correctly and that the operating conditions are observed (for example, the temperature outside).
2. The second typical case is when water flows from the indoor unit.
3. Let’s denote the following case: the air conditioner does not show any life signs (does not respond to the remote control).
4. The fourth case sounds like this – the air conditioner works for a while and then suddenly turns off. We also include all other problems (idle fans, compressor, etc.).
And now we begin to analyze all four points in order, but do not forget that the reason may be ambiguous:
The air conditioner works but does not cool – this is often called the most common symptom.
The first step is to ensure that the air conditioner is set up correctly and that all operating conditions are met !!! To understand where to go next, you need to find out if the compressor is working.
During operation, it should “buzz” a little and vibrate:
• if the compressor is running, the reason is most likely a lack of refrigerant (freon). You need to check the pressure (connect pressure gauges) to verify this. In most cases, the leak occurs at the copper pipe connections of the indoor and outdoor units. Only four such links need to be checked and, if necessary, eliminate the leak (poor-quality rolling or, as in the photo, a cracked egg). Often in the “sore spot,” there are oil dust sticks. Read the signs of a lack of freon in a separate article.
• if the compressor does not start, then it will not be possible to eliminate the problem without special training. Because there can be many reasons. The main ones are:
o the compressor start capacitor does not work;
o the compressor power contacts are burnt out;
o temperature sensors are faulty;
o the compressor itself is out of order;
o failure in the control board.
Water is leaking from the air conditioner – no less common situation
The reason for this phenomenon often lies in the clogging of the drainage tray or drainage hose. It is necessary to disassemble the indoor unit and thoroughly clean the drainage system. To do this, you can read the detailed instructions “how to clean the air conditioner.”
I came across air conditioners with defects in the condensate collection system. Due to structural imperfections, water periodically flows from the block, and I will not “burn” models. In this case, it isn’t easy to find the cause. You have to disassemble the indoor unit and study how the condensate flows in the process of its operation. And as luck would have it at these moments, the drainage system is functioning normally!
The air conditioner does not turn on.
In some cases, the way out is easy! First of all, we check the power supply and the operation of the remote control. I already wrote about this, so it’s better to read a separate article about why the air conditioner does not turn on. If the described actions did not help, the reason should be searched in the control unit (i.e., we read the following reason).
The air conditioner does not turn on.
In some cases, the way out is easy! First of all, we check the power supply and the operation of the remote control. I already wrote about this, so it’s better to read a separate article about why the air conditioner does not turn on. If the described actions did not help, the reason should be searched in the control unit (i.e., we read the following explanation).
The air conditioner works for a while and then turns off – another sign is expressed in these words of the user.
There can be many reasons for this: inconsistency in the amount of freon in the system, compressor overheating, inoperative fans, clogging of the capillary tube, etc. The most difficult is a malfunction of the electronics. In general, it is better to understand on the spot (it all depends on the signs). It is unlikely to do without professional skills, experience, and special tools.
If the reason is electronics, and you have some knowledge, we start looking for the most vulnerable parts: fuses and transformers. If a blown fuse is detected, it is necessary to find the cause of its burning and eliminate it (usually, the problem lies in the varistor). If such actions did not work, you should move on to even more complex reasons and study the board in more detail (diode bridge, voltage regulator, capacitors, relays).
Few people repair the board. In most cases, they change it to a new one. But not all models of air conditioners can be easily found. Difficulties occur with rare (often inexpensive) Chinese air conditioners. Then you have to repair the board and look for suitable parts. It may be more rational to replace the entire air conditioner in some situations. In any case, special training is indispensable here.